Sometimes we get so busy, we forget to take good care of ourselves and our basic needs. We must remember that our mind and body need to be well-maintained to function at their optimum level. Consider all the ways you take care of your car to keep it up and running. Here are a few tips for taking good care of yourself. I encourage you to keep these in place, especially when facing stress.
1) Get good sleep. Try to set a fairly consistent bed time followed by a regular wake time. Give yourself plenty of time for good rest, and try not to nap so you get quality sleep at night.
2) Eat well. Make sure you eat three solid meals a day with snacks as needed. Gravitate toward healthier options, but allow yourself treats as well.
3) Stay connected. Keep in regular contact with positive social connections, like partners, friends, and family. Talk about your successes and stresses so you can be supported along the way.
4) Get moving. Exercise can clear the mind and energize the body. If you find that you do not have time for focused exercise, consider talking a walk with your pet, friend, or partner, so you can make the leisurely stroll connecting as well.
5) Listen to yourself. If you are feeling overwhelmed, stressed, worn out, or sad, pay attention to those feelings. This is your mind and body’s way of letting you know that something in your life needs attention. Take some time to reflect on what is going on in your life so you can recalibrate and identify any changes that may be necessary. If you are having trouble doing this on your own, consider talking it through with a trusted friend, partner, or therapist.
6) Have fun! Be sure to include time for fun in your life. Balance is key to good self-care.